When the weather starts to get chilly I crave soups. Thick, creamy soups, and this recipe for Split Pea Soup fits the bill perfectly in my opinion.
- 1 1/2 Lb Meaty Ham Bone
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Parsnip, chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 2 Cooking Onions, chopped
- 3 cups Dry Split Peas
- 1/2 tsp Dried Marjoram
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 28 ounces Homemade Salt Free Chicken Broth
- 5 1/2 cups Water
- In a large crock pot, combine ham bone, carrots, parsnip, celery, onions, split peas, marjoram, bay leaves.
- Pour water and chicken broth over it all.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Remove ham bone, remove meat from bone and coarsely chop meat.
- Add meat back into the soup.
- I sometimes substitute a pound of ham for the ham bone, depending on the amount of left overs I have.
I’d love to connect with you, you can find me here:
I’ll be parting with these lovely hosts (or for a break down by date and time please go to my party page)