So for 2014 I decided I wouldn’t make a new year’s resolution, I always end up giving up on them anyway, and I just didn’t feel like that’s where I wanted to be. So instead I decided to choose a word for 2014.
My word for 2014 was Discipline. I chose discipline for my word because I knew that there where many things that I wanted to accomplish in 2014 and the only way I would accomplish any of them was if I had discipline.
Only problem, I lack discipline. Admittedly it would not be my word if it wasn’t something I needed, but after a month of barely making any progress towards the things I want to accomplish, I decided that maybe it would help if I told you my goals and updated you on my progress monthly. Thus motivating me to gain the discipline I need to accomplish the tasks ahead.
- Lead a Healthy Lifestyle – with leading a healthy lifestyle, I’m not looking for a diet. Yes I want to eat healthier than I have been, and yes I want to exercise more (I’m currently at the heaviest weight I’ve ever been in my life) but it’s more than that. I purchased a mountain bike 3 years ago because I used to love riding when I was a kid, only to discover that although you never forget how to ride a bike, you do forget how to balance on a bike. I want to spend my weekends (in the summer) mountain biking, kayaking, and hiking. I want to spend my winters snow shoeing. I want to be a runner, and I want to feel great in anything I put on (OK, so I’m a little vain, but hey, I’m a girl). I want the things that I currently think of as exercise (and sometimes dread, as I’m a little out of shape) to be so much a part of my life that I can’t think of what I would do if I wasn’t doing them. As for the healthy eating, I have health issues and eating better will only help them. I want to be healthy.
- Work with Little more on Training – OK lets face it, I’ve been slacking in this area. For the first year that I had Little (my dog) we walked 5 km to 10 km every day and if I stopped for any reason her but was on the ground. If she was off leash and I called she came running, people used to comment on how well behaved she was, and although she is still a fairly good dog, she sometimes needs promos for things that used to come naturally. We need some work.
- Earn enough money Blogging and Selling my product that I can support myself without another job – as I mentioned in #1 I have some health issues, these can make it difficult to work regular hours. Because of this, I really need to be able to turn this blog into a full time sort of thing. I’m also planning on selling some of the things I make at local farmers markets.
- Give back to my community – I live in a beautiful part of BC and many of the people I live around are very kind and giving people. So for me, the ability to give back, or help those less fortunate. This could be through contributions of time, money, or just helping get the message out.
- Gain control of my finances – oh my finances. I’m going to work on doing up a budget every month, and sticking to that budget. I’m going to try to save for a rainy day, and pay off some of my debt.
In addition to my goals for 2014, each month I plan on letting you know what I hope to accomplish that month.
- Do up a Budget identifying where my money has to go and what I have left over for Gas, Food, Pets, Entertainment, Hair, and Blog. Use envelopes for these items.
- Make up a Monthly Meal Plan for February, cook/freeze/can/dry everything so that nothing goes to waste. Divide into easy portion sizes so that it’s easy to grab on the go.
- Participate in as many “Excel Your Dog” Drop In sessions as schedule will permit. Each session is 1 1/2 hours long, and you work on obedience while exercising. (Drop In’s are free if you have completed the Basic program, which Little and I have).
- Consistently post 3 times a week. The Sunday Faviourates, a Recipe, and a DIY. Participate in link parties.
- Go snow shoeing once a week.
So those are my goals for 2014, and what I hope to accomplish in February.
Do you set goals for yourself? What practices do you find best for accomplishing those goals? I’d love to hear from you.
I’ll be parting with the lovely hosts (or for a break down by date and time please go to my party page) of these really great parties: