Hi! I’m Ricki
And These are my Fur Babies
For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a homesteader. Little House on the Prairie style homesteader. Only with running water, electricity, internet… you know the modern necessities.
Growing up, my mother was a modern-day homesteader (don’t tell her I said that, she would be disgusted). She made quilts, clothing, and various other crafts. She gardened like crazy and canned our food. If she needed something built, she did it herself and dragged her children along for the ride.
My summers were spent installing sprinkler systems, building decks, planting (and maintaining) gardens, and canning our own food. Winters where for refinishing furniture, sewing our clothing, and quilting. And through it all we still managed to have an amazing childhood. She taught her children that no task was too difficult.
This blog is about how I’ve applied the skills I learned growing up to achieve my dreams. So join me as I embark on my version of the Modern-Day Homesteader.
20 Random Things You May Not Have Known About Me
- Little has a seat belt, and sits in the front seat
- I once went shoe shopping and left a cheese burger on the seat with Little – it was still there when I got back from buying shoes
- I love Ice Cream and prefer to have more than one flavor at a time
- I can’t stand it when someone leaves a cupboard door open, and have to close it.
- My favorite tattoo on my body is the word Believe on my right index finger
- I currently have 4 tattoos – and am saving for another
- I sometimes suffer from an un-diagnosed version of OCD
- You can tell my enjoyment level of a movie by how many times I pause it to go do something else…
- I’ve never read the Harry Potter series… sorry to all the Harry Potter fans out there
- I often talk when watching movies, but get annoyed if you answer any question I ask during the movie.
- I dislike paying for things that I know I can make for less
- Shortly after being diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease I was diagnosed with severe depression, I’m currently in the process of treating both.
- I’m a Taurus
- For as long as I can remember, I’ve hated Hydro. Love electricity, hate paying for it. My mother has the same issue with water, so it kind of runs in the family.
- I realized one day that I was on a never-ending roller coaster and if I didn’t do something now I wasn’t going to survive. The following month, I moved to a town where I knew no one. All by myself (OK well I had Little & Lily, but other than that…). Some call this brave, but to me it was a matter of survival. Best decision I ever made.
- I live in a small village on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. Population 300
- I am currently in the process of working my way through the adoption process.
- My home hadn’t been lived in for 10 years when I moved in.
- I spent 2 years as a vegetarian.
- My back yard boarders crown land.
For me the name for my blog was the easiest thing to decide on. Questionable because I always want to know how or why. Homesteader because that’s the goal.
As of July 2016 my All Time Top 5 Posts Are:
So grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, let me inspire you, and maybe if I’m lucky, I’ll even get to know you a little along the way.